Tuesday 16 July 2013

Strutting my stuff

Today I spent installing structural supports to the recently trussed sub-frame that supports the bark.

I spent a good hour talking this over with Babs and Sara looking at what had previously been done on the other half of the sub-frame. Some sections were sagging largely as a result of the way they had been installed; with a bolt through an anchor point welded to the top of the frame. This meant that the joint was unsupported and could pivot on the bolt letting the outer bark layer sag. My suggestion was to turn the anchor point sideways and pass the stuts under the frame so that they were backed up.
My idea won widespread approval and appears to be the way struts will be done moving forward. There is just one small hitch and that is that this technique requires the anchor points to be welded to the outside of the frame. There is a risk that they might catch on another part during transport and bend or snap off.
On the plus side the framework is really solid compared to the other half!
Struts bolted into place
Once I finished strutting I was at a bit of a loose end. Michelle walked past and invited me to come and play with some lights.








The lighting is part of the overall stage lighting to stop people driving into the work at night on the Playa.
The Geeks are looking into different paint effects. Here are some examples of fluorescent paint responding under different lighting conditions. They are using low wattage LED lamps connected in series. These LEDs are particularly strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment