Saturday 27 July 2013

Last Day with the FLG

Today was my last day with the FLG.

I caught the bus to the Boxshop and on the way I was thinking "I'm leaving tomorrow......this doesn't seem real." I walked into the shop knowing it was my last time. I made a point of drinking in the look, the smell, the feel of the place. Last. Time.

Then back to work...

It was actually a pretty quiet day. Not that many people showed up except for the stalwart crew.

I didn't tackle anything new today but I did flit around between different things I've been working on over the last month.

Sue is mostly complete and Clyde is beginning to be formed....
The first flange of Clyde


 I "helped" Lance nut out some aspects for the sound and light mushrooms...
Chalk drawings on the metal work bench during conversation with Lance about the S+L mushrooms

The casters were at it again. I helped them lift casting boxes, pack some sand and assist in the pour.

Robert asked me to give him a hand just one more time with the bark. This time for layer C. (The bark. Oh my god! The never-ending bark!)

And I ended the day by grinding some slag off the skin for the fire mushrooms.

After 6 or 7 ground "skins" I was interrupted in my grinding by Margaret who told me that Babs wanted to have a word with me. It was a bit late and most of the FLG had pushed off home but there was a small handfull of stallwarts still going. They presented me with a plaque encased in bark - of all things! Did I mention that some have been referring to me as "King of Bark" (I'm not sure that's the best Playa name ever but I'll take it!)? It was very sweet.

Parting gift from the FLG
 So, I leave the Box Shop and the Flaming Lotus Girls. They are currently in a pretty sticky situation. It's a big build and there is still lots to do but I feel they are close to achieving most of their goals. Last week I was pessimistic about that but a big push from everyone seems to have yielded results. I feel confident that I leave the FLG in a better state than when I arrived. That I have contributed in some small way to that success, and, that they will ultimately complete this monumental  sculpture.

When I first discovered the FLG I read that they made monumental sculpture. At the end of my time here I have to say it is not just monumental - their work is impressively large, sturdy and enduring.





No comments:

Post a Comment